Since the outburst of 2002 SARS [severe acute respiratory syndrome], the popularity of respiratory masks has steadily increased. Scientists have been debating whether a respiratory mask will help to avert the spread of the virus, since the influenza pandemic in 1918 to 1920.
Today, the majority of people agree that high-quality respiratory face masks offer good infection control, which includes regular hand sanitizing or washing. However, normal masks cannot protect against pollution and germs.
FFR or filtering face respirators are also termed as disposable respirators. These are subject to specific regulatory standards, which define the needed performance characteristics and physical properties. During emergencies or pandemic, the healthcare agencies refer to these standards while recommending facemasks like certain public must use FFP2 or N95 or KN95 masks.
According to the current CDC [center for disease control] guidance, N95 respirators are not recommended for the public to protect from COVID-19. The supplies of the N95 respirator has to be consistent for the healthcare staff and first responders.
What kind of face mask must the public use to prevent COVID-19 infection?
The CDC recommends the community to use a cotton cloth to cover their mouth and nose, whenever they move in public. It helps people already infected with coronavirus to transmit it to others. Social distancing is the best way to avoid getting exposed to coronavirus. Another best practice is to wash hands for 20 seconds regularly and avoid touching surfaces as much as possible.
What is the KN95 mask?
The KN95 respiratory masks are Chinese-certified and are an acceptable substitute for highly sought N95 masks. The KN95 is roughly similar to the US approved N95 and FFP2 masks. The standard KN95 respirator mask means filtration is 95% because it is capable to filter 0.3 um particle size [non-oil].
This indicates you get protection against smog particles, dust, pollen, pollution, and the majority of germs moving in the air.
- KN95 is not a medical mask
- It is not reusable
The beneficial features of KN95 respirator masks
- The flat folded design allows for easy storage
- Filters up to 95% efficiently
- Non-staple fabric headband allows being worn comfortably in a hot, humid climate
- Ear-loop is designed for easy put on and pull out
- Nose foam offers softness while wearing goggles or spectacles
- Nose clip allows the mask to secure tightly on the nose
- Four layered filtrations for excellent protection against viral infection
How to wear KN95 respirators?
Before use open the KN95 mask and hang it near ventilation [window] for 2 to 3 minutes but remember to wash your hands first.
- Hold the mask side with a nose clip on the opposite side
- Cover your nose, mouth as well as the chin and place nose clip
- With the other hand pull the lower band over your head and position it under the ears
- Pull the upper strap in the middle on top of your head.
- Tips of 2 fingers have to be placed on a metal nose clip and press it inwards. The clip will be pressed in the shape of your nose.
When you go in public wear a KN95 mask but make sure to maintain social distancing as much as you can. If you accidentally come in contact with COVID-19 patient then there will be a need to wear bio-resistant N95 respirators.